Monday, January 5, 2009

Why Can't We Be Friends?

Like I mentioned yesterday, I saw my ex best friend Hester this week. I blogged about her on Missbehave about seven months ago, so it's been about two and a half years since we'd shared a single word. We met in health class sophomore year of high school...she was the converse and leopard-sporting punk rock girl and I was the converse and plaid-sporting new girl I guess? I think we bonded when the health teacher asked us what we ate all week and I brought in an empty bag of frozen corn (my parents were out of town). Then we shared one of those crying plastic babies for those early parenting classes. Everyday, one of us spent the evening sewing intricate outfits and it was also the only doll with zero minutes of crying (since everyone else threw them in their lockers)! So, fast forward seven years and we're finally decorating our dreamhouse apartment in Bushwickw after moving in together when I graduated from college. I painted. She went out. I worked a couple jobs. She took some classes. I went a little nuts and couldn't hack living with her cause she's always a little nuts and the crazy had built on itself until I couldn't support it and I guess she didn't know it was there. I moved across the street with our mutual best friend Demetra. So we hadn't talked in forever and I lived in fear that we'd run into each other. I had nightmares. I ran out of Beacon's Closet when I saw she was at work. Anyways, she called me last week and we sat down for drinks. My palms were sweating, I half expected her to come in and throw my drink in my face and leave. We talked it out. Two drinks later, we were buddies again and I'm more relieved than I ever imagined I would be. We went thrift store shopping, we went over two years worth of stories of boys, jobs, friends, favorite things, etc. and realized we hadn't swayed so far from each other but have grown into little women. Demetra's gonna kill me for being a traitor, but it's a huge relief not feeling like I have to hide from someone who was once my best friend. Now we're working on a movie. Well...we got drunk and devised a plan to make a movie involving mustaches, godzilla, heroes and heroines. Should it come together, like so few of our outlandish plans, I will make it known...you know, by winning an oscar and being hailed as the next/better whatsherfacewhowroteJuno! Yay! Naranja Julius for everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I'm not going to kill you for being a traitor, mind you she was my best friend too. All that junk above, ya hester and i met the summer before 7th grade. Same deal. I just assume hester always had more malicious intentions for me like i was her competition or something. hopefully she's grown out of that- last time i checked she was still behaving like a back stabbing highschooler. maybe i'll send her flowers.

    ReplyDelete